Sunday, April 29, 2007

Canggu, Pandei, etc.

Today I surfed a nice beach break in Canggu. I'm sad to say that yesterday a Japanese surfer died here. We prayed for him before paddling out today. It was a surreal session, with great barrels, remembering the power of the waves in Bali. We all showed each other much respect, giving waves to one another and thinking about life and how easy it can be lost.


Here's Canggu, where the man lost his life yesterday, may he rest in peace.





I was wandering along the beach with my stuff and found this cool spot with lots of boats, which the Balinese call Jangolans. You can pay someone about $6 each way to take you out to the 2nd and 3rd reefs when it's on. I hope to do so soon.




This is Kuta Beach, only a minute's walk from my hotel, Suka Beach Inn. It's a beach break that's mainly closeouts, but you can find some nice corners as well.




Here's the view from my room at Suka Beach Inn. Don't be fooled, this is the only patch of palm trees in the entire area, it just happens to be in front of my balcony.




This is the cut I got from the broken fiberglass on my board I broke at Uluwatu yesterday. I consider myself lucky. I also cut my foot inbetween my toes today, which hurt pretty bad. But a little super glue and a large bintang does the trick!




And here's me on my patio. Shaka to all my best friends waiting for me back home. I picked up a new necklace that represents Bali wind, waves, and fire. It's supposed to bring good luck, and considering I haven't broken another board or been seriously injured since I bought it it's worth the $1 I spent on it.

I have some great footage of Uluwatu I want to show you, but I need an internet place that will let me download a larger file. Because bandwidth here is small, most places frown on files larger than 500kb. I will find somewhere to pay more so I can get it to you. I will also see if I can get more information on the Japanese surfer who passed, maybe his name at least.

Coming soon I will get some photos of just everyday things. Like the food I eat, Suka Beach Inn, my motorbike, and waves. Also, I plan to surf Uluwatu tomorrow and pick up a few of my photos as well. Thanks for all the support!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whats up buddy! Josh Phil and I are reading your blog at 2:33am. Glad to here you are doing well. Be safe and keep us up dated.